study to be wise

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Ahmedabad



Visited Gandhi's ashram on what I only realized that morning was Human Rights Day, the anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. And then this quote from him reminded me that Gandhi was a lawyer, too! And that lawyers don't have to lose our souls!

Well, at least lawyers named Gandhi.



To walk, or not to walk?



Lots of Indians selling lots of electronics. Just like Tsim Sha Tsui.



Except for these guys.



Waiting for the bus.



Cinema as sanctuary.

I finally found a real mall. Been looking for this for a while now, wondering where amongst all the auto-rickshaws and cows and thalis was the Great Indian Middle Class I keep reading about. Watched another movie, De Dana Dan (tagline: "The great entertainers are back!"), entirely set in Singapore, which set in some homesickness in me, or at least comfortsickness, and I admit I'm starting to look forward to getting home. I think it's okay that this travel thing can be as much marathon as joyride, and that part of the reward is sticking it out.

1 comment:

  1. there are tons of malls in delhi! or like... 5ish. mostly south delhi. did you have to go through a metal detector before going to the movies?

    ReplyDelete